£5.5m National Lottery bonus for Scottish communities
- Community Assets
Grants for community-led activity
Grants for improving lives
- Release date:
- 25 8 2017
The National Lottery is helping to change the lives of thousands of people across Scotland as 19 inspiring projects receive a cash boost totalling £5,493,352.
The money is being awarded by the Big Lottery Fund which distributes money raised by National Lottery players back into communities. See a full list of awards
Here are some examples of what has been funded today:
- Thanks to an award of £916,068, Greener Kirkcaldy will be able to refurbish the former local library in the centre of the town into a vibrant community hub.
- An award of £138,000 means Disability Shetland will deliver a range of group activities for young people and adults with physical and/or learning disabilities.
- Edinburgh Rape Crisis Centre will be able to provide a specialist trauma support service for women and members of the transgender community thanks to an award of £499,999.
- From their Glasgow base The No 1 Befriending Agency will continue and expand their befriending programme for older people throughout the city after an award of £88,135.
Maureen McGinn, Big Lottery Fund Scotland Chair, said: "Today we are awarding almost £5.5m of National Lottery funds to 19 organisations providing great support to people across Scotland facing challenging circumstances. These projects will reach people at a time when they most need support, giving them the confidence, advice and skills to look towards a more positive future."
Big Lottery Fund Press Office: 0141 242 1451
Twitter: @BIGSCOTLAND #BIGScotland
Notes to Editors:
- The Big Lottery Fund supports the aspirations of people who want to make life better for their communities across the UK. We are responsible for giving out 40% of the money raised by the National Lottery and invest over £650 million a year in projects big and small in health, education, environment and charitable purposes.
- The Big Lottery Fund Scotland is focussed on helping people and communities most in need throughout Scotland through its five-year £250m funding scheme as well as small grants scheme National Lottery Awards for All Scotland.
- Since March 2007 Big Lottery Fund Scotland has taken devolved decisions on National Lottery spending, the Committee, led by Chair, Maureen McGinn plays a strategic role in the future direction of the Fund in Scotland.
- Since June 2004 we have awarded over £8.5 billion to projects across the UK that change the lives of millions of people. We supported communities to deliver 13,000 projects across the UK last year, thanks to National Lottery Funding.
- Since the National Lottery began in 1994, £37 billion has been raised for Good Causes funding over 510,000 projects.